Baldwin's Blog

Just another UMW Blogs weblog

Worksheet

September 8th, 2010

Briefly describe the internet research that you did. What words did you google successfully? Name at least one useful website. Do not include web based library card catalogs in this section.

I want to do a paper on the changes that the Olmec deities went though as the Mayan civilization grew and took many of these deities as their own. Wikipedia was my starting point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmec_religion) The sources for this article led me to (http://www.theancientweb.com/explore/content.aspx?content_id=19 )which helped to break down some of the Mesoamerican cultures and what the main differences and similarities among them are.

You should talk to at least one member of this history department about your topic, or at least an expert in your field. Name that expert and briefly describe his/her comments.

I talked to Prof. Minich, who is an Art Historian that is an expert on Mesoamerican. She thinks that there is enough information to do a paper on this topic. She has offered to help me find sources that might help me.

You must have a primary source for this paper.  Provide any pertinent information on that primary source including website and/or call number

Are enough secondary sources available on this topic? Tell me a bit about what you found.

I found some books that may have relevant information on my topic. (Miller, Mary; and Karl Taube, 1993, The Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya: An Illustrated Dictionary of Mesoamerican Religion. London: Thames & Hudson)

Finally, describe your conversations with me about your topic and how your topic has evolved as a result.

I don’t think we have discussed this yet..

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.